Acupuncture is the oldest traditional treatment, where thin needles are used to treat various conditions. Our body has numbers of energy lines that channels to connect organs, tissues, and structures of the body.
It has two significant energy, that is positive and negative, traditionally known as yin and yan that are responsible for keeping all the structures functioning normally. The imbalances of these two energies are known to cause disturbances to the healthy state of your body.
How does acupuncture work?
The thin, sterile needles are inserted into the skin to a certain depth along the energy lines which is as well the pain region which might have resulted due to lack of energy or where the flow of energy is disrupted.
The needles are known to introduce forces that help normalize the flow of energy and balance the yin yan in the body. It also helps activate a healing response in the body.
The needle also pricks the nerve, which helps send signals to the brain to produce chemicals in the circulation to reduce pain and inflammation.
Benefits of Acupuncture treatments
Acupuncture is a healing treatment to as many conditions. It is more effective when the needles are inserted to specific acupuncture points.
● It helps treat musculoskeletal pain such as neck pain, back pain by relaxing tensed muscles.
● It reduces chronic joint pain and helps restore range of motion.
● It improves sleep and reduces stress as it has soothing effects.
● It also helps treat headaches and migraines
● It helps relieve eye strains
● It helps improve and maintain general well-being.
Drawbacks of Acupuncture treatments
• Some patient may not appreciate the treatment as the pricking may cause discomfort to them. For some, it could be quite painful.
• If the acupuncture points are incorrect, there is a risk of puncturing organs in the body, which may further cause complications.
• If the needles are not sterile, high chances of infection.
• It may worsen the condition if the patient has bleeding disorders, allergies, or any open wounds.
• The inappropriate technique may cause needle breakage and may get stuck in deep tissues, which may cause secondary complications.
• If the acupuncturist is less skilled, the treatment may be ineffective and worthless.
Acupuncture is considered an alternative treatment for many conditions that help cut short expenses on medications. Let your physiotherapist assess your pain and disabilities and get yourself treated.